Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell or taste radon, but it may be a problem in your home. The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, you’re at high risk for developing lung cancer. Some scientific studies of radon exposure indicate that children may be more sensitive to radon. This may be due to their higher respiration rate and their rapidly dividing cells, which may be more vulnerable to radiation damage.
Every Home across the world has some amount of radon in it. The question is how much? And the factors to figure out how much are endless from location to the facts that newer homes that are better insulated trap the gases inside the house in return making the levels higher inside the home. The only way to truly tell how much radon gas there is in your home is to have a qualified test performed at the house to test the levels.
If, in the case you have a higher than normal level of Radon gas, which is 4 pCi/L, the EPA’s recommended action level for radon exposure, there are mitigation systems that can be installed in the home which can significantly lower the levels of radon to a safe level.